The printer is an external device that connects to the computer and takes out hard copies of electronic data stored on the computer, and perhaps printers are the most popular computer accessories used. There are several types of printers, including the following:
- Laser printers
- LED Printers
- 3D Printers
- All in one printer
There are several types of printers, different in how they are connected to a computer. Parallel Port printers, serial port printers, and USB-based printers, as well as printers It can be connected to computers via Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi), USB and WiFi printers, are the most used nowadays.
Installing a printer driver
Windows operating system
The printer driver is installed in the Windows operating system by following these steps:
- Connect the printer to the computer through the printer-supported interface, whether through parallel cable, SCSI cable, USB, or other.
- Computer operation.
- Insert the CD in the computer, and then the installation window will appear. If the installation window does not appear automatically, go to My Computer, double-click on the CD icon, and search for a file under Install or Install.
- Follow the steps shown in the installation window until the end.
- Test the printer and make sure it works as it should.
If the printer CD cannot be used; either it is missing or the computer is not supported to read the CDs, the printer driver can be loaded through the printer manufacturer’s website, and then run the downloaded file to complete the identification process.
Via Add/Remove Device tool in windows
If the user wants to install only the driver for the printer without the software accessories that may be found on the CD or download the file, follow these steps:
- Connect the printer to the computer.
- Insert the supplied CD-ROM with the printer.
- Move to the Control Panel and select “Devices and printers”.
- Press the “Add a printer” button, and a new window will appear, pressing “Next”.
- Select “Local printer attached to this computer” and then click “Next”.
- When the installer asks where the driver files are located, they are selected either where they are located on the computer or on the CD.
Macintosh Operating System
The printer driver is installed in the Mac OS X operating system by following these steps:
- Connect the printer to your Mac using a USB connection.
- Turn on the printer.
- Go to System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
- Choose “Printers & Scanners”.
- If the printer is not on the list, press the “+” sign on the bottom left of the screen to add the printer, and a new window will open. The “Auto” tab is selected. If the printer is on the list, the printer does not need a definition, it’s already known, so there’s no need to complete the steps.
- Select the name of the printer connected to the device, and then press the “Add” button if the Mac system can find the driver automatically, otherwise “Choose a driver” is pressed.
- Click the “Use” menu and select “Select Software”.
- Find the name of the printer that matches the name of the printer connected to the device. If this is not possible, you can choose Generic driver that works on most printers or download the profile from the official printer location (depending on printer type and number).
- After the identification process is completed, the printer is tested if it is working as required.
Connect to an existing printer on the network
To identify a printer connected to the network by wired, wireless, or Bluetooth connectivity, follow these steps in the Windows operating system:
- Turn on the printer and make sure it is connected to the network.
- Move to the control panel.
- Select “Hardware and Sound”, then “Devices and Printers”.
- Press “Add Printer” and then “Next” button.
- Select “Add a discoverable printer connected via Bluetooth or wirelessly”, and then press the “Next” button.
- After the Windows operating system detects the printer, select it and press the “Next” button.
- If the operating system cannot find the printer, “The printer that I want is not listed” is selected, and then skip the screen to use other means of identification:
- If the user is aware of the name of the printer on the network, it is entered preceded by two slashes “\\”, which precedes the location of the printer on the network and two other conditions; that is, the formula is as follows: “Printer Name \\ Place Name \\ “
- If the user is not aware of where the printer is located on the network but has its own IP address, select “Add a printer using a TCP / IP address or hostname” (Add a printer using a TCP / IP address or hostname), and then press the “Next” button.
- If the Windows operating system requests the driver files, it will be selected.
- ^ أ ب “Printer”, ComputerHope,19-5-2017، Retrieved 17-8-2017. Edited.
- ^ أ ب ت “How to set up and install a computer printer”, ComputerHope,26-4-2017، Retrieved 17-8-2017. Edited.
- ↑ Tom Nelson (22-8-2016), “Manually Install a Printer on Your Mac”، LifeWire, Retrieved 17-8-2017. Edited.
- ↑ “How to connect to a network printer in Windows”, ComputerHope,26-4-2017، Retrieved 17-8-2017. Edited.